How to Apply
We’re excited to welcome you to Berkshire Waldorf School, a Toddler through Eighth Grade Waldorf school located in the Muhhekunneauw (Muh-he-con-ok, or Mohican) homelands of Western Massachusetts.
In 2021, we celebrated BWS’s 50th anniversary by welcoming a new threefold Leadership Team, and adding outdoor learning cottages to our two Waldorf classroom buildings, meadows, woods, river, and biodynamic gardens, which make our campus a beautifully indoor-outdoor, four season environment.
Berkshire Waldorf School is an “all-weather school” for First Grade through Middle School, and our Early Childhood programs offer indoor/outdoor learning for children starting at eighteen months.
To get started, click on your child’s program link below to create an account in Ravenna and access our online inquiry.
Fall 2024 Admissions
Applications for the 2024-25 school year open now in our Admissions portal, Ravenna. Click on your student’s program level below to get started. Note that Tuition Support is a separate, parallel process to the school application. Both school and tuition support applications for Fall 2024 are due on or before February 1, 2024. Apply early for best availability. (Tuition Support is not available for the youngest Toddler Nursery.)
Current Year Admissions
We offer rolling admissions for Grade School and Middle School students throughout the school year, where spots are available. Rising school year (2024-25) applications close temporarily from July 1 to September 30, as we onboard enrolled students, and reopen October 1. To check availability in your child’s program, please scroll down and click on your student’s program level to create an inquiry in our parent portal.
Get to Know Us
Visitors say pictures (or a thousand words) are no match for feeling the spirit of the school and the land in person. All seasons in the Berkshires are a lovely time to tour our indoor and outdoor classrooms, and see the school in action. You’re invited!
For an overview of festivals and community events, refer to our Calendar.
Planning Your Visit
As part of your exploration, plan to join one of our “Coffee, Tea & Tour” mornings (adults only), on select Wednesdays from 8:30 – 9:30 a.m. Create an account and register in our Ravenna family hub or send us a quick email to request another date (email@example.com).
Spring 2024 tour dates available:
- March 8
- March 13
- March 20
- March 27
- April 3
Learn more about our upcoming program introductions and special events on our School Visits page.
Register for all school visits in your Ravenna Family Portal. Any questions? Email Admissions Director Robyn Coe at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details about visiting and how to apply, continue on to the bottom of this page. Thanks for your interest in Berkshire Waldorf School. Go Bobcats!
Early Childhood (18 mos-6 years)
Children are eligible to join our 2024-25 Early Childhood classes if they will be at least 18 months old by September 1, 2024. We offer Nursery for children 18 months through 4, and mixed-age Kindergarten for children who will turn 5 or 6 during the school year. At Berkshire Waldorf School, depending on your child’s birth date, they may spend several consecutive years in Early Childhood, and turn 6 during their final year of Kindergarten, prior to joining First Grade the following fall.
Parent-Child Garden (4 mo – 3 yrs)
Parent-Child classes are for young children who attend weekly classes with a parent or caregiver. There are three age ranges: 4 months to walking, 1-2 years and 2-3+ years. This is a warm welcome to school for parents and children alike. To register for year-round sessions, visit Parent-Child Garden.
Your child is eligible for First Grade during the 2024-25 school year if they turn 6 by September 1, 2024. An interview, First Grade screening and current teacher’s reference are also part of the application.
Join us for live events such as “Looking Forward to Grades School” (for families with children transitioning from Early Childhood to the Grades), “Looking Forward to Middle School” and “Becoming a Berkshire Waldorf Family.” RSVP in your Ravenna Parent Portal. We look forward to seeing you!
Elementary Grades 2-5
Waldorf education is based on each child’s developmental stage, so at Berkshire Waldorf School, your student’s elementary grade level is determined by their birth date rather than their skill level. However, for students coming from programs outside Waldorf Education, we will also consider each child’s individual experience.
Middle School Grades 6-8
Berkshire Waldorf School’s adventurous Middle School program builds on the strong foundation of Elementary School, advancing to a high level of personal and social responsibility, accountability, and individual and class expectations.
High School, Grades 9-12
For inquiries and admissions for students ages 14-18 (Grades 9-12) at our sibling school, Berkshire Waldorf High School in Stockbridge, MA, contact Admissions Director Samantha Stier at email@example.com or 413-298-3800.
Discover more about how to apply here.
1. How to Apply to BWS: Meet
Here’s how to get started exploring Waldorf education for your family.
- Spring in the Berkshires is a special time to visit! Join our “Coffee, Tea & Tour” Wednesdays starting March 6. (Create an account and an inquiry in our Ravenna Admissions hub, and we’ll send you an invitation, or you can self-register by event.) This initial group tour is intended for grownups only. For other times and dates, contact Admissions Director Robyn Coe at firstname.lastname@example.org, to arrange your personal visit.
- Save the date for our festive May Day, May 1 starting at 11:00a, for an opportunity to meet the whole BWS community on the Green. Bring a picnic!
2. How to Apply to BWS: Complete an Application
2023-24 or 2024-25 School Year Applications
- BWS 2023-24 (current) Grade School applications remain open, where space is available, through April 1, 2024.
- Applications for Fall 2024 (for students 18 months through Eighth Grade) open November 1, 2023, and are due February 1, 2024. The deadline comes up quickly and spots are limited, so we encourage you to apply promptly. Click on your child’s program link to create an account in Ravenna and access our online application.
Want to Start with an Inquiry?
Get started by creating an account and an inquiry on our parent platform. This puts you under no obligation, but does make it easier for us to keep in touch. You’ll also be able to register for events there once they open, and you’ll have everything you need in one place, when you’re ready to go ahead with your child/ren’s application to school.
- Find current 2023-24 tuition rates on our Tuition Information page.
- Early Childhood tuition is based on your choice of days and times.
- To make Waldorf education a viable option for as many families as possible, BWS offers two options for Tuition Support: sliding scale tuition or financial aid.
- Apply with your most recent tax return, which may well be the prior tax year.
- If you choose to apply for tuition support, your tuition support application (separate from and parallel to your school application) is ALSO due February 1, 2024 for the 2024-25 school year. This is an important deadline to note, since we may not be able to provide tuition support for families who apply after this priority deadline.
- Note that Tuition Support is not available for the youngest Toddler Nursery.
Once you complete your child’s application and provide any supporting documents, it’s time to schedule your family visit to BWS.
3. How to Apply to BWS: Meet the Teacher
After your student’s application materials are complete, we’ll arrange a personal visit with their prospective BWS teacher. (Early Childhood students will meet with a member of the Early Childhood faculty; Grades School students often meet with their prospective Class and a Subject teacher.)
ADMISSIONS NOTIFICATION: We’ll do our best to notify you of your child/ren’s admissions status and any tuition support award at the same time. Enroll ASAP to reserve your child’s spot, since availability is limited.
Want to learn more?
Please click the appropriate button above to create your account, tell us a little more about your child or children, and begin a conversation. Reach BWS Admissions Director Robyn Coe at email@example.com or reserve a time for a video chat right here.
Thank you, and we look forward to getting to know your family!