How to Apply
Hello and welcome to the Berkshires! We’re excited to welcome you to Berkshire Waldorf School, a Toddler through Eighth Grade Waldorf school located in the Muhhekunneauw (Mohican) homelands of Western Massachusetts.
In 2021, we celebrated our school’s 50th anniversary by welcoming a new threefold Leadership Team, and adding outdoor learning cottages to our two Waldorf classroom buildings, meadows, woods, river, and biodynamic gardens, which make our campus a beautifully indoor-outdoor, four season environment.
Berkshire Waldorf School is an “all-weather school” for First Grade through Middle School, and our Early Childhood Farm and Forest programs offer indoor/outdoor learning for children starting at eighteen months.
BWS 2022-23 Grade School applications remain open during the summer for rolling admissions, where spots are available. Early Childhood (Toddler, Nursery, Kindergarten) applications are open, but new applicants will be added to a waitpool, pending availability. Click on your child’s program link below to create an account in Ravenna and access our online inquiry and application.
For more details about getting to know us and how to apply, continue on to the bottom of this page. Thanks for your interest in Berkshire Waldorf School. Go Bobcats!
Early Childhood (18 mos-6 years)
Children are eligible to join our Early Childhood classes (Nursery for children 18 months through 3+, and mixed-age Kindergarten for children who will turn 4, 5 or 6 during the school year) if they will be at least 18 months old by September 1, 2022. At Berkshire Waldorf School, depending on your child’s birth date, they may spend several consecutive years in Early Childhood, and turn 6 during their final year of Kindergarten, prior to joining First Grade the following fall.
Parent-Child Garden (4 mo – 3 yrs)
Parent-Child classes are for young children who attend classes with a parent or caregiver. There are three age ranges, 4 months to walking, 1-2 years and 2-3+ years. To register for year-round sessions, visit Parent-Child Garden.
Your child is eligible for First Grade during the 2022-23 school year if they turn 6 by September 1, 2022. An interview, First Grade screening and current teacher’s reference are also part of the application.
Elementary Grades 2-5
Waldorf education is based on each child’s developmental stage, so at Berkshire Waldorf School, your student’s elementary grade level is determined by their birth date rather than skill level. However, for students coming from programs outside Waldorf Education, we will also consider each child’s individual experience.
Middle School Grades 6-8
Berkshire Waldorf School’s adventurous Middle School program builds on the strong foundation of Elementary School, advancing to a high level of personal and social responsibility, accountability, and individual and class expectations.
High School, Grades 9-12
For inquiries and admissions for students ages 14-18 (Grades 9-12) at our sibling school, Berkshire Waldorf High School in Stockbridge, MA, contact Admissions Director Samantha Stier at firstname.lastname@example.org or 413-298-3800.
Discover more about how to apply here.
1. How to Apply to BWS: Meet
Here’s how to get started exploring Waldorf education for your family.
- Fall in the Berkshires is a warm, sunny, colorful time to visit! Starting in September, we’ll post a complete list of Admissions and Enrollment Events, but in the meantime, contact Admissions Director Robyn Coe at email@example.com, to arrange your in-person or virtual visit.
- Starting in September, reserve your spot at our Fall 2022/Winter 2023 live and virtual visits, Program Introductions for Early Childhood, First Grade and Middle School, and Becoming a Berkshire Waldorf Family events. Click on your child’s yellow program button to create an account in our family portal, indicate programs of interest, and we’ll let you know when event registration opens.
2. How to Apply to BWS: Complete an application
2022-23 or 2023-24 School Year Applications
- BWS 2022-23 school year applications are open for rolling admissions during the summer. Click on your child’s program link to create an account in Ravenna and access our online application.
- Applications for Fall 2023 applications for students 18 months through Eighth Grade open November 1, 2022 and are due February 1, 2023. The deadline comes up quickly and spots are limited, so we encourage you to apply promptly.
Want to Start with an Inquiry?
Get started by creating an account and an inquiry on our parent platform. (Click on the yellow button for your child’s program to go to Ravenna, the BWS parent portal.) This puts you under no obligation, but does make it easier for us to keep in touch. You’ll also be able to register for events there, and you’ll have everything you need in one place, when you’re ready to go ahead with your child/ren’s application to school.
- You’ll find current 2022-23 tuition rates on our Tuition Information page.
- Early Childhood tuition is based on your choice of days and times.
- To make Waldorf education a viable option for as many families as possible, BWS offers two generous options for Tuition Support, sliding scale tuition or financial aid.
- Apply with your most recent tax return, which may well be the prior tax year.
- If you choose to apply for tuition support, your separate, parallel tuition support application is due March 1, 2023 for the 2023-24 school year. This is an important deadline to note, since we may not be able to provide tuition support for families who apply after this initial deadline.
Once you complete your child’s application and provide any supporting documents (see checklist in Ravenna based on your child’s program), it’s time to schedule your family visit to BWS.
3. How to Apply to BWS: Meet the Teacher
After your student’s application materials are complete, we’ll arrange a personal visit with their prospective BWS teacher. (Early Childhood students will meet with a member of the Early Childhood faculty; Grades School students often meet with their prospective Class and a Subject teacher.)
ADMISSIONS NOTIFICATION: We’ll do our best to notify you of your child/ren’s admissions status and any tuition support award at the same time. Enroll ASAP to reserve your child’s spot for Fall 2022 – the first day of school is the Wednesday after Labor Day!
Want to learn more?
Please click the appropriate button above to create your account, tell us a little more about your child or children, and begin a conversation. Reach BWS Admissions Director Robyn Coe at firstname.lastname@example.org or reserve a time for a video chat right here.
Thank you, and we look forward to getting to know your family!